International Women’s Day is observed on the 8th of March every year. It is a day of great significance for every woman. Whether it be a young girl or a full-grown lady, every woman is important. This day is celebrated to mark the social, economic, political and cultural achievements of women. The day is also celebrated to pay respect to every brave woman who has struggled in their lives to fight for equality. International women’s day is celebrated all across the globe. Various events and programs are organized to celebrate the day. Events like marches, rallies, conferences are common. Important female personalities are invited to these events to deliver an inspirational speech to encourage and motivate other women. In case, if you are not a part of any of these, you can download Women’s Day wishes from the internet and wish everyone out there through you WhatsApp or Facebook.
History Of Women’s Day:
Here is the timeline for International Women’s Day.
- 1909: The first ever women’s day was celebrated on 28th February in the United States after the Socialist Party of America designated this day in the honour of thousands of women who protested in 1908 garment worker’s strike against bad working conditions in the New York City.
- 1910: The Socialist International decided to make women’s day an international event in order to support the efforts of women all across the world.
- 1911: As a result of the decision taken by the Socialist International, 19th March was marked as the International Women’s Day in Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, and Germany.
- 1913-1914: International Women’s Day was also used as a mechanism to protest against World War 1. Women in Russia celebrated their first International Women’s Day on the last Sunday in the month of February. On 8th March, women in Europe held rallies in order to protest against the war.
- 1917: Russian women too decided to strike and protest for bread and peace on the last Sunday of February which was 8th March according to the Gregorian calendar.
- 1975: United Nations started celebrating women’s day on 8th March during the International Women’s Year.
Since then International Women’s Day is celebrated on the 8th March every year. The day is celebrated by almost every country in the world in order to pay respect and honour to all the women.
Women are important and should be given the same importance as men. They may be weaker than men in strength but that doesn’t make them less important or weak in another aspect of life.